Tuesday, April 26, 2011

More Illustrations

I realize now that I haven't shared hardly any of my illustrations at the Jammery with all you lovely people. Feast your eyes on these! Please excuse their beauty! Feeling a change in the wind, says I... and it's not that I've been eating a lot of protein lately.




(front)

This is from an assignment in my Editorial Illustration class. Everyone picked a fantasy/sci-fi book and completely re-did the exterior of the book. I chose the Princess Bride. This illustration was done completely in black ballpoint pen. Ballpoint pen is probably my favorite method of illustration. It takes quite a long time to do, but I really enjoy going into a meditative state with these obsessive lines. I scanned the finished product into the computer and added the color in with Photoshop. I also hand wrote the text, scanned them individually, and arranged them on the computer.

I wanted to depict the Princess Bride in a more intriguing depiction because most people believe that it is a "girl" book/movie. I feel that with this cover, it would catch more people's attention and generate a larger audience. I was very much inspired by the lavish description of Princess Buttercup's hair in the story.

Feel free to click for a larger view!

(back)




The back illustration is in reference to the "Cliffs of Insanity" in the story. It can also be interpreted as a nod to Princess Buttercup's hair. The text is from the IMDB page of the Princess Bride.



"They exited through the front door!"


This is a portrait of the amazing Willem Dafoe (in my favorite scene from Boondock Saints). I painted it in acrylic paint, and it is 8" x 10". I'm actually not finished with this one (see, his hair is all wonky!), but I really wanted to share with the Jammery. Consider it an exclusive sneak peak!

This is a watercolor painting of a fennec fox. The original painting is about 2" x 3". It is from an assignment in Melissa's class where we were to mimic the style of John James Audubon on a small scale.


Wedding




This is a watercolor painting where I merged two photographs that I found in a National Geographic magazine. One photograph depicted a hyena dragging off a deliciously dead baby gazelle, and the second photograph showed a young gypsy girl on her wedding day. I felt a parallel between the two seemingly different photos. Gypsy brides get married as young as 12 years old, many times without a choice. Barely out of childhood, her life ends. I envision her wedding with her hyena of a husband dragging her off to inevitable suffering and death.

wow, I'm just a barrel of sunshine.

That is all for now, but I am feeling extremely inspired as of late. I am hoping to be able to update on more jams, but May 6th is creeping closer and closer... much like my tweed-wearing gentleman friend at Barbarella  D:

No comments:

Post a Comment