Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Update

Many happy returns to the Jammery! Ideally I make at least one post every week, however I have gone over two weeks now without delivering any jam. Two weeks ago, I went back home to Plano for Spring Break, or in my case, "waiting-tables-to-ring-in-spring." I didn't design at all. There was no jam to be had. The complete opposite of jamming happened. Buttering. Ah yes, I was indeed buttering my customers up for bountiful tips.

One week later I returned to school with much jamming to catch up on. The Creative Summit conference would take place the following weekend, and I was behind on my jam orders. Production was behind! Much to my dismay everyone else seemed to feel well rested and even extended their Spring Break revelry to the weekday. The Monday night following the end of Spring Break, I jammed it up in the lab until about 2:00am when I finally went home. I holed up in my room ready to unwind (perhaps for some RuPaul's Drag Race, being the classy dame that I am) when a knock came at the door. Steve pops his head in. With his face a ketchupy callous of the night's debauchery and clad only in a very distracting pair of underpants, he calls me Jeffrey and shuts the door on his own head. Ending the night on that note, I had to rethink my life. Sense, life makes none.

Here is an update of one of my jams.

I added a ton of stacked text to this, but it still isn't working for me. I think what I 'm going to end up doing is painting and/or drawing the tampon-rocket out my hand and scan it in. I also want to distress the type a lot to match the texture of the image. I submitted it into Creative Summit, but it didn't make it :(



This is a spread from one of my mini books for the Tom Waits song Temptation. It included a little paper figure that you could cut out and assemble. I actually meant to submit this into Creative Summit, but I forgot. Oh well.


I don't have any other images on this particular flash drive that I am working on at the moment, and I am not at home so you'll have to wait for the next shipment of updated jams. One of my books make it through two rounds in Creative Summit. Two rounds! The judges actually liked it! TWICE! But alas my poor little book didn't make it into the final. I was quite sad. I will upload some spreads of my book for the Jammery some time soon.

I almost forgot, I somehow acquired a part-time design job for a small web design firm in Austin. So far I have made designs for a company that sells police equipment. Not beautiful in terms of high-brow art, but it is a fun experience. It gives me a sense of accomplishment and warmth to know that I am spreading the jams.

No comments:

Post a Comment